Friday, June 3, 2011

Ectopic pregnancy - Summer/Fall 2009


Here is the story of our 1st pregnancy:

Oh how happy we were when we found out that we were pregnant!! We were so thrilled that we immediately called our parents and siblings. These were exciting times! I had never been so happy to pee on a stick! (...had I ever peed on a stick before?). However, a few days later I started bleeding - not a good sign. We made a Dr. appointment and to my sadness, she thought that I was having a miscarriage, but asked me to call her if I started feeling any pain (which I hadn't). That same night, I got a little bit of pain and went to bed at 9pm after taking an extra strength Tylenol. At 2am I woke up with unbearable pain on my left side. We called the Dr. and she sent us to the ER. LONG STORY SHORT. No one knew for a fact what was going on (because I was "pregnant" all they could do was an ultrasound and blood/urine tests. They thought I had a miscarriage and a cyst on my left tube, but at this point, they think an ectopic pregnancy is a possibility. Ectopic means "out of place" which in this case, it is a pregnancy that develops outside of the womb - uterus - in other words, it is a pregnancy that is non viable, the fetus will eventually die, and so will the mother if left untreated. Fast forward to a couple of weeks later. I am back at the ER with horrible pain for an entire night with mild pain medications, more ultrasounds, and more exams. They sent me to an OBG-YN. He checked my HCG levels every other day to see if they were doubling - which is a sign of a healthy and normal pregnancy, and they were not. In fact, after a few days they were decreasing. In the meantime, my pains come and go, and I am bracing for the worst. Although the Dr. thought it was a miscarriage, he could not rule out an ectopic pregnancy, so he had me get a shot of Methatrexate. This is a drug that is is used in cancer patients that kills all growing cells in your body. I have to admit I felt horrible doing this. Although I knew an ectopic pregnancy was NOT a viable pregnancy and I could die if I didn't do anything, I felt so sad about the whole ordeal. Zane was such a HUGE support for me. He is an amazing husband.
We got the shot and I headed home. I was told I could have pain within the next days. Two days later I was at work (Thursday before October Conference), when all of a sudden I got an unbearable pain on my side. I could not walk or even stand. I called Zane and asked him to come get me. I threw up on some flower beds after coming down the elevator (I know, gross!). Then I threw up again. LONG STORY SHORT. I had yet another ultrasound. Another Dr. came to see it and decided that I had a large ectopic pregnancy and that he had to perform emergency surgery. I had NEVER had ANY surgery before. I was freaking out! I had no clue if I was allergic to any anesthetic or if the surgery would be a success. The Dr. told me that he would try to save my left fallopian tube, but that the ectopic pregnancy looked so large that he doubted he could do so. He said the pain I was feeling was from the "blood and debris" falling off into my abdomen. Oh boy that was painful, let me tell you! As I am signing away my life and as I am being told what would happen during surgery, I turned to Zane and told him: "Zane, you can remarry!" Hahaha I honestly had NO CLUE whether it was "my time" or not! He just looked at me, and said: You will be just fine, I promise. I have to say that his words gave me a great deal of confidence. 2 hours later I was coming out of surgery, when I woke up I felt like I hadn't slept in 1,000 years! And I felt funny, in fact I was told I said some very funny things, and I couldn't stop laughing. What I can remember is asking the doctor: do I still have 2 tubes or did you have to take one?? And he said: I'm sorry, the ectopic pregnancy was so large and the tube was so damaged that I had to remove it, but you still have 1 tube!

Recovery went fine. Zane was by my side all the time and he was an immense emotional, spiritual, and physical support (oh boy how my man can handle puke and other gross stuff....). I love him and I am eternally grateful for him. I was also grateful for the assertive Dr. that we got the last time at the ER, and for all the medical care I received. That weekend was an amazing spiritual Conference weekend. A friend's mom spoke in General Conference and I almost felt like she was talking to me! I was so blessed with so many phone calls, cards, emails, meals, and visits from family and friends. Although Sunday night after the October Conference I had a little breakdown (thinking will this happen again, and stuff like that..), I felt so close to God, and knew that He would help me get through it.

We were told that we could start trying to conceive again in 6 weeks....so guess what happened 6 weeks later...

We will tell you in the next post! :)

No comments: